At the end of October 2021, Huawei held a legion formation conference in Songshan Lake Park. Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei, chairman Liang Hua, and several rotating chairman and other executives attended the conference. At this conference, Huawei established five legions. They are Coal Mine Corps, Smart Highway Corps, Customs and Port Corps, Smart Photovoltaic Corps, and Data Center Energy Corps. Thinking of the current new energy track, the establishment of the Data Center Energy Corps has aroused heated discussions in the industry.
Huawei’s energy storage ambitions
Since the beginning of this year, Huawei’s layout in the energy storage industry has continued. In June 2021, Huawei Digital Energy Technology Co., Ltd. was established; on October 27, 2021, Huawei won the world’s largest energy storage project – Saudi Red Sea New City, which has an installed capacity of 1,300MWh; on October 29, 2021, Huawei The Data Center Energy Corps was established at the Songshan Lake Park Base. These three steps seem to be unrelated, but they are actually related.
As we all know, what Huawei is best at is differentiated play. Back then, Huawei’s photovoltaic inverters developed slowly by relying on the unpopular field under the subdivision track – string inverters, as well as wasteland-style scientific research and innovation. In just a few years, in 2020, Huawei ranks first in the world in terms of global PV inverter shipments, with a capacity of 41.7GW and a market share of over 23%, surpassing the number two positions.
Similar to the photovoltaic industry, after the energy storage industry is subdivided, the upstream, middle and downstream are also controlled by different leaders. The battery suppliers are BYD and CATL; the inverter suppliers are Sungrow, and the project developers are Yongfu and PowerChina. For Huawei, supporting equipment is its specialty, just like the growth experience of photovoltaic inverters.
This time, Huawei’s entry into the energy storage industry is not only Huawei’s goal, but also to take advantage of the situation in order to save the country and survive after Huawei’s consumer terminal business is limited. Huawei already had a huge advantage before entering the energy storage industry. First of all, Huawei is a high-quality communication equipment supplier in my country and has unparalleled advantages in smart networks; secondly, Huawei has accumulated a considerable number of unique patents in the development of photovoltaic inverters, providing a large number of patents for entering the energy storage industry. of advanced technology. Finally, Huawei has a huge R&D team of tens of thousands of people, which is the biggest confidence for Huawei to enter the energy storage industry!
Huawei Digital Energy
According to the company’s investigation, in June 2021, Huawei Digital Energy Technology Co., Ltd. was officially established. The company’s legal representative is Hu Houkun, Huawei’s rotating chairman. From this, we can see that Huawei’s executives are optimistic about the energy industry. The company has a registered capital of 3 billion yuan, and its business scope is mainly in the research and development of online energy measurement technology; the research and development of emerging energy technologies; the research and development of energy recovery systems; the research and development of electromechanical coupling systems; and the sales of new energy vehicle swap facilities. From the side, the company’s goal is to vigorously enter the new energy industry and actively seek profit growth points.
Huawei Digital Energy has five major businesses: site energy, digital center energy, smart photovoltaics, vehicle energy, and module energy. There are nearly 60 series of products in “Family Bucket”, providing a complete set of ecological solutions including various products.
In the future, Huawei will focus on six major directions.
1. Continue to promote the combination of power electronic technology and digitalization, realize the point-to-point connection of energy and information, realize “bit management watt”, and promote the digital transformation of the energy industry.
2. Promote the establishment of a clean energy power generation system with wind energy, photovoltaics and energy storage as the main force. Create a new power system with new energy as the main body. Real combination of “source, network, load, storage” and multi-energy complementarity, and actively promote the arrival of a low-carbon society.
3. Actively promote the electrification of the transportation industry, build a transportation map with electric vehicles as the main force, and strive to realize the integrated and coordinated charging and battery swapping network solution of “people-vehicles-piles-road-network”.
4. Huawei will build zero-carbon, efficient, and intelligent green ICT infrastructure solutions around zero-carbon sites and zero-carbon data centers.
5. Actively build a “reservoir” for the power system, and create an extremely safe and more economical intelligent energy storage system through cloud BMS (battery management system).
6. Build an energy cloud, provide “source, network, load, storage” and a comprehensive smart energy service platform that complements multiple energies to achieve “wind and solar power generation, energy storage, charging, industrial and building energy conservation, site and data center energy conservation, power distribution The intelligent management of scenarios such as “Internet” can open up the data of “sending and allocation” of energy, and serve global energy customers.
Outdoor Power Blue Ocean
Recently, according to the charging head network, Huawei has launched 2 outdoor mobile power supplies in a low-key manner in the official flagship store operated by JD.com. They are 500Wh and 1000Wh portable mobile outdoor power supplies, respectively.
According to the product details page, the power battery has a capacity of 270270mAh and a rated capacity of 1000Wh. The charging protocol supports PD3.0, the bidirectional voltage is 12V, and there are 2 USB interfaces, all of which are Type-C interfaces, and support digital display of power. Of course, this is only Huawei’s first generation of outdoor power products.
It can be learned from this that Huawei has already taken action on the outdoor power supply track, and has already launched actual products. Outdoor power supply is a subdivision of the energy storage industry. With the continuous development of Huawei’s energy storage industry, outdoor power supply will also ride on this ride.
It is understood that outdoor power supplies have ten killer application scenarios such as fishing, self-driving travel, film and television production, outdoor operations, emergency rescue, and power generation. In the recent call for power cuts in many provinces across the country, outdoor power supplies have become a popular product.
The new energy field is one of the hottest tracks in recent years, and the energy storage industry has developed slightly with the development of new energy vehicles. At present, with the introduction and implementation of the top-level plan for the new energy industry, the energy storage industry will also usher in a big explosion, and the sub-sector of outdoor power supply will also rise.
At the beginning of this year, the 14th Five-Year Plan for the National Economy pointed out that in the energy field, we must vigorously develop clean energy represented by new energy vehicles, wind energy, photovoltaics, and energy storage. In July this year, the National Development and Reform Commission and the National Energy Administration once again issued the “Guiding Opinions on Accelerating the Development of New Energy Storage”: By 2025, the installed capacity of new energy storage in China should reach more than 30 million kilowatts (30GW).